01 April 2009

Festive Picnics


I am planning to do a week of picnic books as they are one of my favorite types of cookbook. I was planning to do that week of titles when it was warm and sunny and all the world was picnicing

Today’s weather in Shirley was supposed to be 72 degrees and sunny. In reality, it is 51 and pouring rain! Weather is such an exact science. So I am jumping the gun and offering up a picnic recipe as a form of wishful thinking.

I must say, I have yet to find the “perfect” picnic cookbook. Truthfully, any food can be a picnic food, the true test is the portability of the food. I wish that more picnic cookbooks spent time on the transportation of the food.

Festive Picnics by Pamela Sheldon Johns and Jennifer Barry has ideas for picnic table decorations and fun ideas for transporting what you have cooked. Of course some things need to be cooked on sight.

Garlicky Barbecued Corn

6 ears of fresh sweet corn, husked
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and freshly ground pepper

In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the corn for 3 minutes. Drain and let cool.

In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the butter with the garlic. Set aside.

Light the fire in a charcoal grill or preheat a gas grill to 425 F. Place the corn on the grill turning and brushing frequently with the garlic butter for about 3-5 minutes, until the corn is heated through. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve at once.




I am resting assured that May is near. Warm weather. Sunshine. Lovely picnics. I’ll keep wishing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin