27 March 2009

The Deep South Natural Foods Cookbook


The 1970’s were awash with “natural foods.” Add some wheat germ, a bit of carob powder and any cookbook becomes a natural. When I came across this book, I had to have it. How does one make smothered quail and country ham “natural” food.

Mary Lou McCracken tried in her 1975 cookbook, The Deep South Natural Foods Cookbook. Most of the Deep South recipes were rendered “natural” by frying in cold-pressed oil, using unbleached flour, raw fertile eggs, raw sugar, and WHAM, a soy ham.


Sorry, wrong WHAM!

Sad news for WHAM lovers! Worthington Foods has discontinued WHAM. Which lasted longer than WHAM, much to my surprise.

In flipping through McCracken's book, I found one of my mother’s favorite recipes. It is about as “unnatural” as it can be.

Salmon Croquettes

2 cups canned salmon, bones removed
sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 onion, chopped
2 raw fertile eggs
4-5 tablespoons unbleached white or whole wheat flour
cold-pressed cooking oil

Mix all ingredients together well. Drop into hot oil with a tablespoon and cook until golden brown. Turn and brown on the other side.
I guess that cold-pressed cooking oil, unbleached flour and fertile eggs made up for that canned salmon.
I haven't had salmon croquettes in years, but reading this made me want to drag out my mother's recipe and fry up a batch, canned salmon and all. Food is often not just "food" sometimes it is a Eucharist, a remembrance. Natural or not, this recipe made me remember my mother.

If you are in the mood for a Deep South Natural Food breakfast, mix up some biscuits, gravy, and WHAM and of course, wake me up before you go go.

9 comments:

  1. it's amazing stuff that WHAM. Does wonders for the immune system. Such sad news that it was discontinued, alas i'll have to use a different meat substitute, like SPAM. Anyways, have a WHAMderful day,

    yours truly,

    WHAM lover Alex xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOLY JESUS ive just found a Worthington WHAM ROLL. This is extraordinary!!!!

      http://adventistfood.com/index.php?id_product=54&controller=product

      THANK GOD FOR THIS AND THE 10 COMMANDMENTS.

      PRAISE TO ALL

      GOD BLESS

      yours truly,

      Alex xxx

      p.s (different Alex)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. WELL THEN.

      SOMEBODY doesnt appreciate the wholeness of WHAM and this fantastic WHAM recipe.

      Maybe you didn't use enough chopped Salmon???

      Anyway

      hope this helps,

      yours truly,

      Alex xxx
      p.s (different Alex again)

      Delete
    2. sorry Alex, auto correct. I was meant to say that this product did wonders for my dog. He loved it so much that he died 2 days later. R.I.P Spotty. Also so proud to say that my son, Alex said his first words today.."WHAM". So proud of him xxx odd boast but alas.

      Delete
    3. Wow Unkown, truly inspiring content. Im sorry for your tragic loss of Spotty, (however dying of WHAM is understandable :))) )
      AND WOW I CANT BELIEVE I SHARE THE SAME NAME AS YOUR SON
      (different Alex again again)
      Im so proud of him too xx

      Anyways,

      Hope this helps

      yours truly,

      Alex xxx
      p.s (still a different Alex)

      Delete
    4. sorry auto correct. I was meant to say, my Son's first words WEREN'T WHAM as he still hasn't had them yet.

      Thank you so much for your quick reply and my son's full name is Alexandraspecialboy. named after my cats brother.

      P.S I won't be replying soon because i have a funeral to go to. R.I.P Spotty

      lost of hugs and kisses,

      Alexandraspecialboy's Dad

      Delete
    5. Hi Alexandraspecialboy's dad

      I hope you enjoy the funeral, they're always a blast aren't they. DONT FORGET TO BRING YOUR WHAM-WIDCH HAHA LOL.

      Delete
    6. Sorry some wet wipe next to me published my message early.

      Hope this helps,

      Yours truly,

      Alex xxx
      (The one after the original Alex)

      Delete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin